Cyprus Internet Directory Jobs In Cyprus
  Cyprus Internet Directory Search       
Google Search
  
Cyprus Internet Directory Search
  
Cyprus Comming Events    Cyprus 
Events 
   
Cyprus News Articles    Cyprus News 
and Articles
   
Cyprus Guide    e Guide
to Cyprus
  
Quick Links

Lemythou is situated in one of the highest regions of Cyprus. It is a village of the south Marathasa territory, built like an amphitheatre in a verdant natural environment. It has an average altitude of 1100 metres and is included among the 10 highest villages of Cyprus. It is located at about 65 kilometres north-west of the city of Limassol and about 85 kilometres from the city of Nicosia. Lemythou receives a very high average, annual rainfall ranging around 900 ...
Read More

The village Lofou lies 26 Kilometres Northwest of Limassol. It is built over the hills like an amphitheatre, at an altitude of about 800 meters. It is isolated because the road-path does not continue beyond the village. Turnpike roads connect Lofou with Ipsonas and with the Limassol-Platres road at the level of Alassa. In the Southwest it is connected with the village St. Therapontas and through a rural road it connects with Pera Pedi. The village owes its name ...
Read More


  
Cyprus Articles [ Tremithousa (Trimithousa) Village ]

Tremithousa (Trimithousa) Village

The village Tremithousa or Trimithousa is located about 4 kilometers northeast of the city of Pafos. Because of the close distance from Pafos the villages is also known as Tremithousa of Pafos.

The village is built at an average altitude of 270 meters. Its area has a general inclination from the northeast to the southwest and the altitude ranges from 150 to 500 meters.

Tremithousa receives an average annual rainfall of about 520 millimeters; vines of winemaking varieties, vegetables, cereals, forage plants, citrus, almond, and walnut trees, and legumes are cultivated in the region. The village has a reputation for the aromatic and tasty honey that it produces.

With respect to transportation Tremithousa connects in the north to the monastery of Agios Neofytos, in the northeast with the village of Tala, and in the east with the main road of Pafos - Polis.

The village, because of the small distance between it and the city of Pafos, has undergone great fluctuations of its population. In 1881 the inhabitants of Tremithousa numbered 156, which increased to 196 in 1891, to 227 in 1901, and to 260 in 1911. In 1921 the inhabitants numbered 298, 317 in 1931, 374 in 1946, and 418 in 1960. In 1973 the inhabitants of Tremithousa were 424. In 1976 the inhabitants decreased to 421 and in 1982 to 369. In the 2001 census the inhabitants numbered 700.

The village existed during the Medieval years and -during the era of Frank domination -administratively it belonged to the village of Empa. It probably is the village that was granted in 1375 -along with others -to Tibaldi Belfarang by King Peter II of Cyprus as a reward for the services he offered in the war against the Genoese.

Tremithousa took its name because of the "Tremithia". Tremithia (Terebinth) is a tree that was found in large quantities in the surrounding area. Thus the name Tremithousa or Trimithousa implies an area that is filled with Terebinth trees. Indeed, in the old times the village was known for its production of "Pafitiki Pissa" (gum of Pafos), which is made out of the resin of the Terebinth tree.

Today there is a dynamic residential and tourism development in the region of Tremithousa. Because of the very good climate of the region, as well as the unique panoramic view of the village, the area around the village started to develop with luxurious villas and organized tourist complexes.

The Church of St George

The recently constructed church of St George is located at about the centre of the village Tremithousa and in the midst of the few traditional, little houses of the community. It is now the main church of the village, since -until recently -the one that is dedicated to the Saints Riginos and Orestis functioned as the main church in Tremithousa.

The foundation stone was set in 2001 and the church was "baptised" on the 13th of June 2004. Architecturally it is constructed in the Byzantine style with a dome. It can accommodate around 500-600 faithful. Externally it is painted and whitewashed. Simplicity prevails in its interior. Its ecclesiastical wealth makes itself present since the Holy See of Pafos, the Church Committee, and the community's inhabitants made sure that everything was done to complete the church in all its splendour. The icon screen, which cost quite a lot, is woodcut and made of walnut. The Psalters are also made of walnut-wood and were donated by the sculptor and constructor.

The fabulous and convenient women's loft, constructed in a semicircular fashion, allows the faithful of comfortably viewing and enjoying the services every Sunday and on holidays.

Externally, there are plans to enrich and complete the yard by paving it with slates. The church celebrates on the 23rd of April, a day when the saint's Holy icon is carried about in procession and many believers from the surrounding regions come to honour the day of Saint George.

The Church of the Saints Riginos and Orestis

The old church of the village that was dedicated to Riginos and Orestis, two foreign saints -which were however reported as having lead an ascetic life in Cyprus and are celebrated together on the 20th of August -was located a bit outside of the village, to the east and near a river. The church got destroyed and collapsed with the earthquake that occurred in 1953. Indeed, there is a tradition reporting that, a bit further from this church, there was a bridge with a cave right beneath it, which had stalactites in its interior. Water was springing from that spot. During their tour of Cyprus for the purpose of preaching Christianity, the two saints hid in that cave and remained there for two-three days after being persecuted. This place is considered as a holy one and many are the faithful that seek to be healed by washing their hands and face with the miraculous water of this cave, the two saints also being known as miracle makers with regards to having fever and shivering. The cave is extant today although it is deserted.

In 1963 the new church of the Saints Riginos and Orestis started being built. The church was completed and baptised in 1965 in a location at the centre of the village and a bit further from the church of St George. Amidst the houses of the village, it is made of stone and has a semicircular roof that is covered with tiles. The steeple is a simple structure adjacent to the rest of the building, it is not very tall, and it has two bells. It can accommodate 100-150 Christians. Internally, the icon screen is made as a mosaic (intarsia) and it is completed by the embedded holy icons. The Psalters are wooden -an old making -as is the High Priest's throne. There is no women's loft but the holy icon dedicated to the saints (18th century) is placed on a special, sealed kneeling desk to the left of the icon screen and towards the corner. A liturgy takes place in it once or twice a month. The day of the two saints is celebrated jointly on the 20th of August, their holy icon being carried about in procession.



The Country Church of "Agia Sofia"

One of the inhabitants of Tremithousa's community wanted to fulfil a solemn promise: to build a country church and dedicate it to Saint Sofia. So, in 2001 he began the construction of the small church a bit outside the village, to the west and in the midst of the fields, completing the operations in about a year (2002). It is small and has a rather tall steeple, also being whitewashed externally. Internally it is enriched with qualitative material. The woodcut icon screen is made of walnut and the Psalters are also a high quality structure made of walnut. A liturgy takes place in it three to four times a year. It celebrates on the 17th of September.

The Country Church of the Prophet Elias

It is said that a long time ago, at a small distance outside the village, there was a country church dedicated to the Prophet Elias. Today, as a sign of respect toward the saint, the community has attended to the creation of a very simple icon screen, right there by the remains of that era's church. The community's inhabitants paid the expenses for the raising of the country church.


(Source: http://www.tremithousa.org/)






  

Other Related Articles


Cyprus Guide Article Submission

If you have an article and you wish to submit it to our database please send us an email. In your email subject quote "Article Submission" and attach the article to the email. To email us Click Here

Cyprus Holiday Villas-Investment Properties

A wide range of holiday villas, investment properties, building plots and apartments in Cyprus for sale by owner. Save money on your holiday villa in Cyprus and enjoy the holiday feeling for ever.



How would you rate the quality of this article?
1 2 3 4 5
Poor Excellent

Article Options

Email to a friend Email To A Friend     Print Article Print Article     Add Article To Favorites Add Article To Favorites