Coma woman dies two days after drinking Lannate
A WOMAN who mistakenly drank the poisonous pesticide Lannate believing it to be a weight-loss drink died yesterday after being admitted to Nicosia General Hospital on Wednesday.
According to police the 27-year-old Romanian, Stefania Veronica Zinonos, who owned a cosmetics store, dissolved the white powder into a drink and then a few minutes later lost consciousness, according to a friend who was with her at the time.
Police spokesman Andreas Angelides said that the police were investigating the possibility that either she drank it by mistake or someone planted it in her bag.
“There are serious things to investigate here, whether it was by accident or not,” said Angelides.
Lannate is a fatal pesticide, even if it’s merely inhaled or absorbed through the eyes. In Cyprus it has been used for years to deliberately kill cats and dogs.
Angelides also said police were interviewing the victim’s husband along with other family members and friends. However, he said that it appears she never discussed what she was taking for weight loss and when, but she did drink weight loss drinks sometimes.
“We don’t believe that she was trying to commit suicide, or that she had any differences with anyone,” he added.
Police found the small, plastic bag containing the Lannate but did not find any more of the substance.
According to Greens MP Giorgos Perdikis, the pesticide is not legally sold in Cyprus any more. “It might come from the north,” said Perdikis, adding that some people go over and buy it (for personal use) while others buy it and sell it.
(Source: Cyprus Mail)
Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2008 Please contact Cyprus Mail for the copyright terms of this article.